Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I have a blog for everything else, so why not?

Besides, I enjoy setting up new accounts, hehehe.

I plan to use this sort of as a journal for what we're doing, and also as a way grandparents can stay up-to-date. Also, I'll probably use this space to vent and/or brag a bit whenever someone conquers a milestone or when we do something especially interesting.

I don't want to have to type out every single thing we do every day all at once, so I'll start by talking about the one thing we never fail to do, even on days we aren't technically "doing school." Our calendar.

We have a pretty elaborate homemade calendar. It consists of a corkboard and some hand drawn words and numbers. Example: we have a sign that says "today is" and then underneath is the day of the week it is, the month, the number date, and the year. Over to the side is another sign that says "yesterday was," and another that says "tomorrow will be." Oddly enough, I gleaned those last two ideas from high school spanish class; it was an effective way to remember what the names of the days of the week were. Same concept with us!

The kids have really cottoned on to the days of the week thing, usually telling me what day it is before even being prompted. Even Bella will join in when they yell it out! We sing, "Sunday Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday Friday, Saturday," to the tune of "Oh my Darlin Clementine," to help them remember. It's worked wonders!

The calendar is bright and colorful, each with cut-out letters in one color on a different colored background, and of course different colors for every piece. It probably will never be "finished"; we're adding new things to it all the time. The kids love it and they never fail to remind me to "do the calendar" every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment