Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interesting day...

We started the morning with changing the calendar, which led to a discussion about the new month and how long it's going to last. I explained that there are twelve months in a year, and drew their names on the board. Beau was really interested in how many of them start with the same letters (January, June, July; May, March). Then we drew a wall calendar-type of calendar and talked about how it shows the same information as our regular calendar.

Beau played Buzzy at the Airport and Xander watched him play while I fixed snack. Bella likes to watch me fix snack, so she was right there with me.

After snack, Beau wanted to finish a mini-game in Buzzy at the Airport, so I set up the math flash cards while he played.


This was our first time playing with the math flash cards, and it went over well. Beau easily recognized the smaller groups and called out their numbers, but he had to stop and count when it went past six. He enjoyed it, though, and it shouldn't be a problem getting him to want to play again. I'll try to devise a "Go Fish" type of game with the cards soon.


Then we played with onset-rime blending with the Larry Boy puppet. Larry Boy is having trouble speaking, and when he tries to say a word like "fish," it comes out like "fffffff-ish." The onset sound is "f," and the rime is "ish." The object was to get the kids saying the words like Larry Boy would without being told how. Beau caught on quickly, and Xander tried, as well. Bella called out the names of the pictures as we went along. Everybody loves the Larry Boy puppet. :)

And then something unexpected. (The unexpected often happens when you have small children.) Bella was climbing up on a stool and tipped it over on her big toe. It was a wooden stool, and it hit her toe pretty hard. (She wasn't supposed to be playing with it, of course.) I dosed her with some Tylenol and put her to bed when propping her foot up and letting her rest on the couch didn't seem to help.

She's fine now, though. :) She woke up from her nap and announced, "I all better now!"

A friend of mine told me about a play date with a homeschooling group in Opp. It's tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. at Opp Park. I've never been to that park - I don't even know where in Opp it's located - but I want to go. I'd love to be part of a homeschool group! Tomorrow doesn't look like it's going to happen, though; Steven has a doctor's appointment in the afternoon, and I've still got to get the check and deposit it and all of that. But who knows? I'd like to try to go to this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment